Generating usage reports
Usage reports provide historical data about SVM and storage usage in your account.
To learn how SVM and storage is calculated, see How usage is calculated.
Creating a usage report
To generate a custom usage report
- From the navigation bar, click Admin > Reporting.
- Select parameters for the report:
Resource – Choose SVMs or Storage.
If your account is enabled for Power VMs, there are two SVM options: SVMs (x86) and SVMs (Power).
- Region – Choose which region or regions to include.
Labels – Choose which type of labels to include in the report:
- None – The report does not include labels.
- Single – The report includes only single-value labels, the most efficient type for usage reporting.
- All – The report includes both single-value and multi-value labels, suitable for general-purpose reporting, searching, and filtering.
- Reports that include labels:
- Can’t be grouped.
- Can only be displayed as a CSV report that you download or receive in email.
- For more information about using labels for reporting, see Using labels for in-depth usage reporting.
Grouped by – Choose how you want to organize the report:
- User – Displays usage by resource owner.
- Group – Displays usage by groups, as well as the usage of each resource owner within those groups.
- Region – Displays usage by region.
- Department – Displays usage by department, as well as the usage of each resource owner within those departments.
- No grouping (line items) – Displays the individual line items of raw usage data, allowing you to see every instance of SVM or storage usage.
The usage for a resource owner is attributed to the group(s) they belong to at the time the report is generated.
Time period – Choose the time duration to report:
- This month – Displays data from the current calendar month.
- Right now – Displays current resource usage at the time the report begins to generate.
- Last month – Displays data from the previous calendar month.
- Custom – Displays data between start and end dates that you choose.
Usage data is available for the past two years.
Aggregate – Choose an aggregate time period:
- By month – Displays data grouped into calendar month increments.
- By day – Displays data grouped into calendar day increments.
- No aggregation – Displays the total usage from the entire time period in a single column, as well as details about each instance of use.
Ungrouped reports can’t be aggregated by day or month.
Choose a time zone:
- Local Time zone – The time zone you set on the My Account page.
- UTC – The time zone used for billing purposes. If you select UTC, items are included or excluded from the report based on their UTC timestamps. However, the start times and end times are still listed using your local time zone.
Click Generate report to view the information in your browser, or click Export CSV to create a CSV file that you can further filter or graph in an external spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel.
Most reports are generated in a few seconds. Large reports can take longer. A busy pointer displays when a large report is being generated. If you need the full report but don’t want to wait for it to compile, click Email CSV. The report is generated offline, and then a link to the report is emailed to the address associated with your user account.
- The link to the report expires after seven days.
- The reporting system can display up to 31 columns in the UI, equivalent to one month using a daily aggregate. Up to 62 columns can be displayed when the report is exported as a CSV file: 31 in the Cumulative column and 31 in the Max column.
- For information about reviewing your report, see Interpreting usage reports.
If you need a faster report, change your filters to create a smaller report (for example, reduce the time period to a smaller window or select the option to aggregate by month instead of day).
Example usage report
To generate a report that shows SVM usage by owner over the last quarter
- For Resource, select SVMs.
- For Grouped by, select User.
- For Time period, select Custom and enter a date range that spans several months (Example: 12/01/2014 - 03/31/2015).
- For Aggregate, choose By month.
The following report is generated. The report can switch between various metrics, including Cumulative SVM hours, Max SVM usage, Max VMs, and On-Demand SVM Hours usage.
Some of these usage options may not display for your account.
Troubleshooting a message: “The report is too large”
Skytap provides advanced messaging if a usage report is too large to run. Rather than time out over a period of several minutes, the report will fail quickly and display a message indicating that the report is too large.
Use the filter parameters on the page to select a shorter date range, or to apply filters to the report. For example, select the option to aggregate by month instead of day. For information about the filter options, see Creating a usage report above.