Shrinking a virtual disk
You cannot shrink a virtual disk in Skytap. Instead, you must export the VM, edit the virtual disk using VMware vCenter Converter, and import the VM back into Skytap.
Shrinking a virtual disk is not supported for Power A CPU architecture that supports IBM i, AIX, and Linux (on Power) in Skytap Cloud. VMs.
VMware vCenter Converter is a free VMware utility that edits and converts your virtual machine images outside of Skytap. For more information about VMware vCenter Converter, see the VMware product documentation.
To shrink a virtual disk
From the host machine:
- Export the VM from Skytap and download the VM file to your local machine or another VM in Skytap. For instructions, see Exporting VMs out of Skytap.
- Extract the VM from the compressed file. For Windows, you can use 7zip to do this. For macOS (OS X), you can use 7zX.
Download and install VMware vCenter Converter on your local machine or the other VM you used in Step 1.
Download VMware vCenter Converter at https://www.vmware.com/products/converter.html.
- Open VMware vCenter Converter.
- Click Convert Machine.
- Under Source Type, select VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine. Choose the location of the VMX file. Click Next.
- Under Select destination type, select VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine.
- Under Select VMware product, select VMware Workstation 11.0.
- Enter a name for your VM in the Name field.
- Select a destination location for the converted file. Don’t save the image to the same location as the original VMX file. Click Next.
- To accept the default options, click Next.
- On the Options page, click the Data to Copy section.
- Select Select Volumes to Copy as the Data Copy Type.
- For each virtual disk, enter the appropriate size in the pull-down menu. Click Next.
- On the summary page, verify the settings.
- Click Finish to begin the conversion process. Depending on the size of the VM, the conversion process can take more than an hour to complete.
- Import the converted VM into Skytap. For instructions, see Importing VMs and vApps into Skytap.
If you think you’ll need to shrink a virtual disk later, add a second disk that you can delete, instead of expanding your primary disk.