Overview of Private Network Connections and VPNs
Skytap Private Networks Connections and VPNs securely send network traffic between an external network (like a network in your on-premises data center or another cloud service provider) and one or more Skytap virtual environments in your account.
Each Private Network Connection or VPN:
- Uses a Skytap virtual network endpoint to route traffic between an external network and one or more virtual environments in a Skytap region.
- Has granular access controls that let administrators decide which users, groups, and departments can attach virtual environments to the VPN or Private Network Connection.
- Can optionally be configured to use Network Address Translation (NAT). NAT assigns additional, unique IP addresses to virtual machines attached to the VPN or Private Network Connection. This means that cloned Skytap environments can be attached to the same network without IP address conflicts.
VPN traffic passes securely through the public Internet, while Private Network Connection traffic passes through a private, dedicated network connection at an Equinix hub. Private Network Connections generally provide faster data transfer speeds and lower latency.
Private Network Connections
- Connections between Skytap and a primary, corporate data center.
- Your data center or network endpoint must be accessible from an Equinix hub.
- Your network must support Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).
- Your Skytap must be enabled for a Private Network Connection.
To get started
- Contact the Skytap Support team at email@example.com to begin configuring your Private Network Connection.
- Connections between Skytap and:
- Smaller corporate offices or data centers
- Other cloud service providers.
- You must have a network appliance that is accessible from the public Internet.
- Your Skytap must be enabled for VPNs. Most accounts are already enabled.
To get started
Work with your IT organization to gather the configuration parameters for the network appliance you want to connect to.
Then, use the WANs page in your Skytap account to create the VPN connection.