Using delayed provisioning with Course Manager events
By default, Course Manager provisions environments in Skytap as soon as you add participants to an event. With the delayed provisioning feature enabled, Course Manager attempts to provision participant environments closer to when the event is due to begin.
You can enable delayed provisioning by default using your account settings or for an individual event using Course Manager tags.
How delayed provisioning for events works
With delayed provisioning enabled for your events
- When you add a participant to an event sufficiently in advance of its start time, Course Manager doesn’t immediately provision the participant’s Skytap environment.
- (Info) displays next to the participant name on the Course Manager event page.
- If you point to (Info), one of the following messages displays, depending on participant type:
- Instructor will be provisioned closer to the event’s start time.
- Student will be provisioned closer to the event’s start time.
- In the participant’s drop-down menu, the links to Open sharing portal, Open in Skytap, and Reprovision are dimmed.
- Course Manager periodically checks whether it’s time to provision the participant’s environment in Skytap.
- Once the participant is eligible for provisioning, Course Manager provisions the participant’s environment in Skytap.
- After Course Manager provisions the participant’s environment:
- (Info) no longer displays next to the participant name.
- In the participant’s drop-down menu, the links to Open sharing portal, Open in Skytap, and Reprovision are active.
When delayed provisioning is enabled
- By default, environments are provisioned 72 hours before they’re scheduled to start for the first time.
- For example, on Wednesday, you create an event scheduled to begin at 9:00 AM the following Monday and add one participant to it. Course Manager selects a start time of 8:00 AM on Monday for the participant’s environment. Since it is currently more than 72 hours before its start time, the Skytap environment isn’t provisioned. Course Manager provisions the participant’s environment at 8:00 AM on Friday.
- If you add participants closer to or after the event’s start time, their environments are provisioned immediately.
- Course Manager sends email invitations as soon as participants are added to the event. If a participant clicks the link in the invitation before the environment has been provisioned, the web page displays the message: Your lab is not yet available.
- If a participant’s environment hasn’t yet been provisioned, the participant’s template can’t be deleted unless a replacement has been designated. The replacement template must be from the same Skytap region.
Course Manager checks provisioning eligibility on an hourly basis.
It’s important that you monitor environments in Skytap to confirm they are provisioned according to schedule.