Installing IBM i licenses in Skytap
IBM i VM licenses are generally tied to the serial number of the hardware host and must be renewed each year. If you migrated an IBM i LPAR into Skytap, use this procedure to install an IBM i license and to create a LICKEY scheduled job which runs once per day to verify that a valid license is installed on the VM.
Python 3 must be installed on the IBM i LPAR.
- From the green screen of the IBM i VM, login as QSECOFR. Make sure networking is enabled and that you can access the internet.
STRTCPSVR SERVER(*SSHD)to start SSH.
- From a command windows on your local computer, sign into your IBM i VM using SSH:
- In the SSH session, type
bashto start a bash instance.
- Use an editor such as NANO to create
IBMPULL.SHin the root directory of the IBM i VM. For example, type
Paste in the contents of the
#!/bin/bash/ /QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/curl --fail -o tmp_ibmi_license_management.py http://169.254.169.254/skytap?ibmi_script_update=1 if [ $? == 0 ]; then /QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/python3 -m py_compile tmp_ibmi_license_management.py if [ $? == 0 ]; then mv tmp_ibmi_license_management.py ibmi_license_management.py chmod +x ibmi_license_management.py ./ibmi_license_management.py else echo "Failed to compile new script." && exit 1 fi else echo "Failed to download new script." && exit 1 fi echo "This is done!"
Create a LICKEY user
Create a LICKEY user to run the license-verification script.
Type the following command:
CRTUSRPRF USRPRF(LICKEY) PASSWORD(*NONE) INLMNU(*SIGNOFF) LMTCPB(*YES) SPCAUT(*ALLOBJ) DSPSGNINF(*NO) LMTDEVSSN(1)
Create a LICKEY scheduled job to validate the IBM i license
Configure Advanced Job Scheduler to run the LICKEY script once each day. You can do this in an SRA session or using a 5250 emulator.
To create the LICKEY job:
- Type WRKJOBJS to open job scheduler.
- Create new job called LICKEY with the following parameters:
- Frequency: *DAILY
- Interval: 1
- User: LICKEY
- Schedule times: 0:02 (or any time of your choosing in UTC).
- Press Enter to confirm the job.
- Choose option 8, and then add these commands to the job:
- Seq: 10
- Command: QSH CMD(‘/IBMPULL.SH’)
- Choose option 6 to release and reset the job.
Use option 7 to immediately execute the job to test it.
The job can take a long time to complete, depending on the EC and any running processes on the VM. For a very low EC VM, the job can take 20 minutes.
Troubleshooting the LICKEY job
The LICKEY job calls the
ibmi_license_management.py script, which has a debug option.
ibmi_license_management.py debugto run the script with verbose progress output.
- Contact Skytap Support with the output if you’re experiencing an error and need assistance.