Troubleshooting my connection to a published service
If you are unable to connect to a VM over the published service, confirm that:
- The VM is running. You can’t connect to a published service on a VM that is suspended or shut down.
- You are accessing the VM via the published service URL and higher-range port number assigned by Skytap Cloud (example:
- The expected service is running. For example, if you are trying to connect to a web site hosted on the VM, access the VM using the another access method (for example, the SRA browser client) and use the command line or another application to check that the expected service (Apache, nginx, etc.) is running.
- The service is running on the correct port number. Make sure the service is listening on the internal port number you specified when creating the published service (not the higher-range, external port number assigned by Skytap). For example, if you are connecting to a published service that uses internal port 8080, confirm that your service is listening on port 8080.
- The guest operating system firewall is not blocking the connection.
- Your corporate or home firewall is not blocking the connection. Some firewalls may be configured to block high-range port numbers. For more information about the IP addresses and port range numbers that need to be whitelisted, see the Published services section of What IP addresses and port ranges does Skytap use?
- You can’t connect to a published service from another VM in the same environment. For more information, see Can I connect to a public IP address or published service from another VM in the same environment?
- Some protocols do not work as expected with published services, including:
- FTP and other protocols that make secondary connections on different port numbers.
- Protocols that do not work behind a Network Address Translation or Port Address Translation (NAT/PAT) gateway.
- For information about the IP addresses and port ranges used by published services, see What IP addresses and port ranges does Skytap use?
- Add a published service
- Remove a published service
- Connect to a published service